Internationally successful string quartet Meta4 the principal guest of Jyväskylä Sinfonia 2022-2024
At their symphony concerts, the artists of the Meta4 Quartet conduct the orchestra while playing. The members of the quartet share the duties in the concerts, and the quarter also invites visitors among the top international musicians to lead the orchestra.
- We are tremendously happy that Jyväskylä has the courage to adopt such an approach. Jyväskylä Sinfonia has a passionate energy and presence, and the musicians work intensively in a positive spirit. It is energizing for us too! Meta4 says.
- It is important to us to strive to interpret our time and our values. In our coming seasons in Jyväskylä, we want to show and illuminate the diversity now visible in the society through music”, the quartet continues.
Unique opening even at international level
The decision of the Jyväskylä Sinfonia to invite the Meta4 quartet as their principal guests, a role usually reserved for conductors, is a new opening also internationally.
- The orchestra’s musicians are very excited about the future cooperation that is expected to be interactive and inclusive. The choice of Meta4 as the principal artistic guest of the Jyväskylä Sinfonia was particularly influenced by their interesting, skilfully planned repertoire and a very high level of professionalism. - Their enthusiasm is infectious and the whole orchestra performs better with them, the musicians of Jyväskylä Sinfonia resume the basis for their decision.
Meta4 is currently one of the most sought-after quartets in its field, and their skills and expertise bring the orchestra’s artistic development to a new level. Founded in 2001, Meta4 Founded in 2001, Meta4 performs actively around the world and it is one of Finland’s most successful string quartets.
Chief Conductor Ville Matvejeff to become Artistic Advisor
Ville Matvejeff has worked as Chief Conductor of Jyväskylä Sinfonia since 2014 and his current contract runs until the end of spring 2022. After his successful term as the Chief Conductor, Ville Matvejeff will continue as Artistic Advisor for Jyväskylä Sinfonia until the end of 2023. The role of the artistic advisor includes, for example, five concerts, programme planning, a recording production and the completion of the artistic and functional amendments and development of the orchestra; e.g. recruitment processes and questions related to the orchestra’s premises.
- I am delighted that despite the disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, we can continue our excellent cooperation and complete processes that are important for the development of the orchestra and our cooperation. We will continue our cooperation in terms of content as before, but with fewer concerts for me. This gives both me and the Jyväskylä Sinfonia time to focus on what is new. Good working relationships last a long time; the best are life-long, even though the roles sometimes change. I also believe that, with the changes and steps that will take place by 2024, the orchestra will be able to enter its new era with impact, in terms of both composition and setting. Promising views make it possible to successfully recruit a new chief conductor," says Matvejeff.
The orchestra will also increase the number of guest conductors in their symphony concerts to prepare for the opening of the post of chief conductor in 2024.
- The selection of the new chief conductor is a long process, and it starts by clarifying the orchestra’s strategy and vision What does the orchestra want to become in the future, and especially for whom. The whole orchestra participates in the process. On the eve of this new opening, it is wonderful to continue our smooth cooperation with Ville, Jyväskylä Sinfonia intendant Emma Anttila resumes.
For more information:
Intendant Emma Anttila, phone +358 400 872 168, firstname.lastname@example.org
Chief Conductor Ville Matvejeff / Fazer Artists Management: Aino Turtiainen-Visala, phone +358 10 422 3420, email@example.com
Meta4 / Sublime Music Agency: Tiina Vihtkari, phone +358 50 594 2430, firstname.lastname@example.org